St Gabriel’s Catholic Primary School Sports Funding
At St Gabriel’s, we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and wellbeing of our children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children.
Our Primary School Sport’s Funding will enable us to continue and extend our provision through employing additional sports professionals, entering into more competitive sports competitions and training our staff to deliver in-house quality PE sessions.
Primary School’s Sports Funding
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What Is The Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for the academic years 2013/14 and 2014/15 to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. Each school will receive £8,000 plus an extra £5 per pupil each year for the next two years.
Purpose of the funding Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work
- Alongside primary teachers when teaching PE (Premier Sports)
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games